Peter Zhao is a vitreoretinal surgeon and Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at Tufts Medical Center and Tufts University School of Medicine. He specializes in diagnosing and treating many different retinal diseases including age-related macular degeneration, inherited retinal degenerations, diabetic retinopathy, retinal vein occlusion, retinal tear, retinal detachment, macular hole, and epiretinal membrane.
Dr. Zhao obtained his undergraduate degree from Dartmouth College and medical degree from Yale University School of Medicine. He completed ophthalmology residency at the W.K. Kellogg Eye Center of the University of Michigan, receiving the Aizman Award for academic and clinical excellence. After residency, he remained at the Kellogg Eye Center to complete a one-year fellowship in inherited retinal degenerations funded by the Foundation Fighting Blindness, and a two-year fellowship in vitreoretinal surgery funded by the Heed Ophthalmic Foundation.
Research Interests: Artificial intelligence, gene therapy, inherited retinal degenerations
Vitreoretinal Surgery, W.K. Kellogg Eye Center, University of Michigan
Inherited Retinal Degenerations, W.K. Kellogg Eye Center, University of Michigan
Ophthalmology, W.K. Kellogg Eye Center, University of Michigan
Yale University School of Medicine
Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology, Tufts University School of Medicine
American Board of Ophthalmology
1. Eton EA, Zhao PY, Johnson MW, et al. Rhegmatogenous Retinal Detachment Following Initiation of Pilocarpine Hydrochloride Ophthalmic Solution 1.25% for Treatment of Presbyopia. Retin Cases Brief Rep 2022.
2. Zhao PY, Branham K, Schlegel D, et al. Automated Segmentation of Autofluorescence Lesions in Stargardt Disease. Ophthalmol Retina 2022:S2468-6530(22)00265–2.
3. Deng C, Zhao PY, Branham K, et al. Real-world outcomes of voretigene neparvovec treatment in pediatric patients with RPE65-associated Leber congenital amaurosis. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2022;260:1543–1550.
4. Zhao PY, Johnson MW, McDonald HR, Sarraf D. Paracentral Acute Middle Maculopathy and the Ischemic Cascade: Toward Interventional Management. Am J Ophthalmol 2022;234:15–19.
5. Zhao PY, Ji S, Newman-Casey PA, et al. Assessing patient perception of risk in ocular stem cell therapies. Stem Cell Reports 2021;16:2415–2421.
6. Zhao PY, Branham K, Schlegel D, et al. Association of No-Cost Genetic Testing Program Implementation and Patient Characteristics With Access to Genetic Testing for Inherited Retinal Degenerations. JAMA Ophthalmol 2021;139:449–455.
7. Lindeke-Myers A, Zhao PY, Meyer BI, et al. Patient Perceptions of SARS-CoV-2 Exposure Risk and Association With Continuity of Ophthalmic Care. JAMA Ophthalmol 2021;139:508–515.
8. Zhao PY, Hovland PG, Fahim AT. Cystoid macular edema precipitated by altitude in a patient with X-linked retinitis pigmentosa. Ophthalmic Genet 2020;41:275–278.
9. Zhao PY, Abalem MF, Nadelman D, et al. Peripheral Pigmented Retinal Lesions in Stargardt Disease. Am J Ophthalmol 2018;188:104–110.